|Salary:||GBP9.40 - GBP12.60 per hour|
|Contact Name:||Jenna Jackson|
Base Location: Hampshire
Salary: £9.40 - £12.60 per hour depending on skills and experience
Working Pattern: 37 hours | Permanent | Full time
About the Department
Operations are responsible for keeping the lights on; we are at the front line on the Network. If we find a fault, it is our responsibility to respond to the fault, and dispatch our skilled teams to fix it as quickly as possible. We work in all hours, and through all weathers, ensuring our customers are never without power.
What is the Role
We invest millions every year to make sure that our network is in the best condition possible to minimise the risk of power cuts and to ensure the safety of the public. During high winds and storms, trees can strike our equipment and cause power cuts, and so we cut them down or trim them back. As well as installing the latest technologies and carrying out regular maintenance, we have our in-house tree-cutting team to make sure that trees and vegetation are kept away from our overhead lines and equipment.
You'll be part of an extensive tree cutting programme, where you will help to ensure that during bad weather, trees do not fall on power lines by clearing trees and vegetation in proximity to our overhead transmission and distribution network. Working with safety at the forefront of all activities, you will work with your team to evaluate, prepare and carry out tree cutting works on a variety of sites.
What do I need?
You should ideally already have relevant NPTC certificate units for the use of chainsaws, and a qualification or certificates including NPTC UA would be a bonus. We would also look for;
- Previous experience in tree cutting, forestry or arboriculture; similar capacity experience climbing would be highly advantageous
- Holding experience of working with power lines, and climbing would also be highly advantageous
- You will be the 'outdoorsy type, comfortable working outdoors
- Knowledge of the electricity network would be beneficial, however for the right applicant, full training will be provided
- A full, current driving licence is essential as travel will be required
- Enthusiasm and drive with a flexible approach to work and an ability to adapt to changing business and project priorities; you may have to work away from home occasionally, so this is key
Whilst the above skills and experience are important, we also have several personal competencies that we look for in our future employees;
- High regard for safety, embedding yourself in our safety culture and adhering to guidelines in everything you do is a key priority
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; comfortable liaising with stakeholders at all levels, both internal and external
- Excellent organisational skills with an ability to work to deadlines
- Outstanding customer relationship skills, and a commitment to provide a high-level service
Were committed to ensuring we offer our people a great place to work, with competitive salary, contributory pension plan and benefits package. Why not watch our short employee benefits video to see what else is on offer?
For more information about this role, or to discuss any adjustments you require to submit your application please get in touch sse.
We all have different skills here at SSE and that's what makes us stand out. We all take pride in a job well done and share the belief that an inclusive culture is key to our success and vision for the future. Above all, safety is at the heart of everything we do at SSE and we live by the mantra 'if it's not safe, we don't do it.
SSE is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.