|Salary:||GBP9.22 - GBP12.35 per hour|
|Contact Name:||Jenna Jackson|
Location: Poole, Dorset
Salary: £9.22 - £12.35 per hour depending on skills and experience
Permanent | Full Time Hours | 37 hours per week
We invest millions every year to make sure that our network is in the best condition possible to minimise the risk of power cuts and to ensure the safety of the public by preventing risk of injury or electrocution. During high winds and storms, trees can strike our equipment and cause power cuts, and so we cut them down or trim them back to keep the lights on. As well as installing the latest technologies and carrying out regular maintenance, we have our in-house tree-cutting team to make sure that trees and vegetation are kept away from our overhead lines and equipment.
Being part of an extensive tree cutting programme, you will help to ensure that during bad weather, trees do not fall on power lines. You will work with a highly skilled team to clear trees and vegetation in proximity to our overhead transmission and distribution network. Working with safety at the forefront of all activities, you will work with your team to evaluate, prepare and carry out tree cutting works on a variety of sites.
Your Skills and Experience
- You should ideally already have relevant NPTC certificate units for the use of chainsaws, and a qualification or certificates including NPTC UA would be a bonus, however not essential
- Previous experience in tree cutting, forestry or arboriculture; similar capacity experience climbing would be highly advantageous
- Holding experience of working with power lines, and climbing would also be highly advantageous
- You will be the 'outdoorsy type, comfortable working outdoors
- Knowledge of the electricity network would be beneficial, however for the right applicant, full training will be provided
- A full, current driving licence is essential as travel will be required
- Enthusiasm and drive with a flexible approach to work and an ability to adapt to changing business and project priorities; you may have to work away from home occasionally, so this is key
Whilst the above skills and experience are important, we also have several personal competencies that we look for in our future employees;
- High regard for safety, embedding yourself in our safety culture and adhering to guidelines in everything you do is a key priority
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; comfortable liaising with stakeholders at all levels, both internal and external
- Excellent organisational skills with an ability to work to deadlines
- Outstanding customer relationship skills, and a commitment to providing a high-level service at all times.
At Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks (SSEN), our skilled teams operate and maintain our electricity distribution and transmission networks, carrying electricity to over 3.7 million homes across the north of the Central Belt of Scotland and Central Southern England.
Operations are responsible for keeping the lights on; we are at the front line on the Network. If we find a fault, it is our responsibility to respond to the fault, and dispatch our skilled teams to fix it as quickly as possible. We work in all hours, and through all weathers, ensuring our customers are never without power.
We have an excellent benefits package as part of our offering. Here's a few highlights;
- Generous holiday allowance (you can even buy additional holidays)
- Great share plans
- Group Pension Plan
- One day paid volunteering
- Tailored internal development opportunities
Just click the Apply button to submit your application, it doesn't take long.
This vacancy is open to internal and external candidates. If you're internal, please notify your line manager before you submit your application. If you're successful, we'll conduct some pre-employment checks.