Position: Location: Salary: Ref: Job Type: Published On: Start Date:
Substation Engineer Higher Apprenticeship
About the role
As a Higher Apprentice Engineer, working at your current level of training, you would be ensuring the continued safe and reliable operation of the electricity transmission network through the efficient maintenance of substation assets.
Once you have successfully completed the Higher Apprentice you could be responsible for performing substation engineering services on various projects (from 69 up to 765 kV voltage levels). Prepare electrical protection and control design deliverables, and/or physical layouts for high and extra high voltage substations (HV and EHV).
Key Tasks and Areas of Work
Whilst on programme, Higher Apprentice Substation Engineers can typically expect to;
- Shadow experienced craftsperson’s and engineers in site work Interpret engineering drawings
- Experience major outages and faults including
- Transformer and Circuit breaker maintenances
- Involvement in planning of outages
- Shadowing experienced protection engineers
- Pass safety authorisation to become Competent Persons
- Undertake Authorised Persons and Senior Authorised Persons training and site based homework
- Outage planning
- You must have or are predicted to gain Grade C/4 or above in GCSE English Language PLUS one of the following:
- 2 A-Levels - 1 must be in either Maths or Physics (Grade C or above) or
- BTEC National Certificate Level 3 in Electrical & Electronic Engineering or Engineering (Merit or Distinction with the Maths modules being Merit or Distinction) or
- BTEC National Diploma Level 3 in Electrical & Electronic Engineering or Engineering (Merit or Distinction with the Maths modules being Merit or Distinction) or
- ONC in Electrical & Electronic Engineering (Merit or Distinction with the Maths modules being Merit or Distinction) or
- HNC/HND in Electrical, Electronic or Mechanical Engineering (Pass, Merit or Distinction) or
- Degree in Maths, Physics, Chemistry or Engineering
To apply for this role your must hold a valid full UK car driving licence at least 3 months before the programmes start date.
This role will require peripatetic working, which mean that you will be working within a team with no base locatin and will be required to travel across multiple sites.
This role require full colour vision
Disabilities and Reasonable Adjustments
If you consider yourself to have a disability, long term health condition and/or require any reasonable adjustments to complete any part of our application process, please make us aware as soon as possible so we can make the relevant adjustments.
Please also contact us if you require this, or any other document in an alternative format such as large print, braille, audio or easy read.
Telephone: 01926 654630
The Higher Apprentice Engineer programme has been designed specifically to develop new trainees into site based supervisor roles within Electricity Transmission Owner delivery.
These are based within a number of National Grid substation sites around the UK.
The programme is 36 months in duration and features a blended learning approach including;
- On job experiences - structured specifically by the team leader and mentor. This may involve shadowing and delivering day to day work activities. The log book aims to structure and reflect on this learning
- Academy specialist training (Eakring, Nottinghamshire) - National Grid Academy technical, safety and professional training modules delivered by qualified delivery staff. These modules are a selection of business specific and general training modules.
- Academic qualification - Foundation Degree in Engineering (Electricity Transmission) with Aston University