|Position:||Senior System Performance Engineer|
|Salary:||Performance related bonus|
|Contact Name:||Jenna Jackson|
About the Role
Base Location: Perth or Glasgow
Salary: £Competitive + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First working options available
What is the Role?
SSEN Transmission has an opportunity for a Senior System Performance Engineer to undertake and lead power system studies to support the integration of low carbon generation and related technologies onto the transmission system in the north of Scotland. Our System Performance team provides an advanced simulation capability which includes cutting edge large scale EMT modelling using PSCAD on dedicated high performance computing hardware.
The key duties & responsibilities will be:
- Define and deliver detailed simulation studies to support the connection of renewable generation, FACTS devices, HVDC links and railway feeder stations.
- Show technical leadership within the team and provide training and mentoring for less experienced colleagues.
- Take the lead on scoping and delivering innovation projects ensuring that our business is at the forefront of new developments in system modelling and monitoring.
- Support the operation of our network by assisting with analysis of events and disturbances.
- Represent SSEN Transmission in external meetings and on industry workgroups.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Experience in power system analysis, design and planning, ideally within the electricity transmission area, with working knowledge of the relevant industry and technical standards.
- A deep understanding of power system modelling and analysis with extensive experience in at least three of the following areas: load flow and short circuit calculations, dynamic (RMS) simulation, power quality and system monitoring, EMT simulation for transients, EMT simulation for control interaction studies and automation scripting.
- Experience with industry standard analysis tools such as PSS/E, Power Factory, PSCAD and Matlab/Simulink. Knowledge of the Python scripting language would also be advantageous.
- Excellent knowledge of the electricity industry, including interfaces with the regulator, the Electricity System Operator, other Transmission Owners and Distribution Network Operators.
- A degree in electrical engineering or related numerical discipline and ideally be a Chartered Engineer with a relevant institution and the ability to write clear and well-structured technical reports and specifications and provide focused information for senior management.
About our Business
SSEN Transmission owns and operates the electricity transmission network in the north of Scotland, transporting energy from where it is generated to where it is needed, providing a safe and reliable supply of electricity to the communities it serves. Home to some of the UK's greatest resources of renewable energy, SSEN Transmission is playing a critical role in the transition to a low carbon future, developing, building, maintaining and operating a network for net zero.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Stephanie on 01738 342963.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.