|Position:||Senior Business Development Manager|
|Salary:||annual bonus, car/car allowance|
|Contact Name:||Jenna Jackson|
Base Location: Flexible across UK regions
Salary: Competitive plus Bonus, Car/Cash Allowance + Benefits package
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full-Time, 37 hours | Flexible Working options available
About the Department
SSE Enterprise Utilities is the Distributed Energy (DE) and Private Networks business of SSE plc. We finance, own, operate and maintain energy infrastructure for commercial, industrial and residential customers - providing them with a market leading project development service and certainty of operational performance and asset management.
What is the Role?
SSE's Distributed Energy business is currently expanding our portfolio of services and solutions within the UK & Ireland. We're targeting rapid growth in this part of the business and beginning a transformation process founded on a 'whole system thinking' approach to future decarbonisation with smart local energy systems. Consequently, you'll have a broad understanding of Distributed Energy systems, including some of the following areas: electricity and multi-utility networks, solar, EV and an appreciation of battery storage, district heating and smart city approaches. You'll need to be conversant on the drivers and value that can be achieved from local energy systems and aware of how IoT and a range of smart city and energy flexibility applications can add further value.
The Senior Business Development Manager is a key role, employed to drive forward our business relationships and solutions primarily into the Regeneration and Development markets for industrial, commercial, residential and data centre developments. Your primary focus will be on building a strong qualified pipeline and executing to close sales across multiple targets, initially landing electricity (including private wire and IDNO) and multi-utility network related pursuits. Experience in these markets and with a track record in solution selling these propositions is a key requirement.
You'll be part of our Distributed Energy business and report on a day to day basis through our matrix structure across our sector teams led by our proposition Sector Directors. You'll be flexible with focus on the market across the UK and will be required to develop enduring, broad relationships and pipeline across various stakeholders in the regeneration and development markets. This role has responsibility for developing a robust pipeline across the target markets, and as such will carry an annual target based on project progression and contract value.
This exciting role is a genuine opportunity to position SSE as a provider of choice in distributed energy market. You'll be responsible for identifying opportunities, managing client and wider stakeholder relationships and closing deals, supporting bid and development teams to secure contracts and partnerships with targeted public and private sector organisations. You'll be involved in bringing together areas of different expertise and working with internal stakeholders, experts and external partners to ensure the proposition is scoped and developed in line with our customers' needs and our strategy.
The role will develop a wide and close network of clients along with other stakeholder relationships to ensure awareness and influence on market and to continuously adapt propositions to suit both. You'll be the main client interface throughout the proposition phase. You'll also have sales input and oversight to the supporting development teams to ensure that propositions/bids are delivered on time and positions taken during negotiation are signed off by the business. Additionally, you'll be responsible for achieving internal approvals in line with SSE and business governance processes and deliver against sales targets of completed contracts per year and total value.
Key Accountabilities will also include:
- Qualifying and scoping new opportunities for electricity and multi-utility networks and broader distributed energy projects
- Developing and managing a pipeline of activity across a wide client base and other key stakeholders within the eco-system of an opportunity, such as developers, consultants, principal contractors and project managers
- Attending networking events as required and deliver speaker slots, both internally and externally to build SSE solutions brand awareness
- Bringing client drivers and market intelligence to all propositions/bids in this sector and as appropriate pre-position SSE Enterprise's offering and value ahead of procurement processes or as part of a solution sales approach
- Developing and maintain key account and client engagement / influencing plans and use these to direct future actions
- Monitoring the market to identify emerging technologies and solutions which SSE can exploit
- Working closely with colleagues across the businesses internal capability areas to develop propositions that meet client needs and maximise SSE Enterprise cross-business opportunity
- Direct responsibility for ensuring propositions/bids successfully transition from initial bid to contract signature stage holding an annual sales and pipeline target
- Ensuring both technical and commercial solutions meet the client's requirements and our financial performance requirements
- Managing the client relationship throughout the proposition/bid and negotiation process ensuring that client's requirements and drivers are reflected in SSE's submissions
- Managing the outputs of supporting roles to provide high quality bids and approved negotiating positions
- Ensuring clear briefing and buy-in from senior managers within SSE Enterprise Distributed Energy and ongoing 'sponsorship' at that level for projects under the individual's control
- Continue building relationships with clients once contract/s are won and continue to grow longer term client relationships
What do I need?
You'll possess extensive relevant experience in the energy sector with strong direct experience operating within the market and will be able to evidence building and managing a successful team.
To be successful in this role, you'll have:
- Proven track record with extensive relevant experience in the energy sector and operating in one or several of the target market
- Proven experience securing business with multi-utility networks in the industrial, commercial and residential markets
- In depth knowledge and technical understanding of high and low voltage electricity networks, up to 132kV and IDNO electricity distribution networks
- Highly experienced networker and relationship manager; connected and able to build and manage diverse relationships with a wide group of stakeholders from C-suite and through the organisation
- Excellent influencing expertise with the ability to engage with a wide stakeholder group
- Excellent understanding of relevant policy frameworks as they apply to heat, energy, carbon and integrated systems
- Sound judgement - with the ability to interpret, analyse and disseminate complex, sensitive information
- Experience of solution / consultative selling and building bespoke value propositions with customers across a complex range of technology and solutions
- Experience communicating complicated projects internally to gain approval through governance processes
- Experience resource planning across a complex project to fully understand potential cost of project
- Experience of building sales strategies and client engagement plans to maximise value, priorities and delivery against set targets.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
You'll have excellent personal attributes including being a self-starter with the ability to lead, drive and foster enduring relationships. You'll also be passionate and motivated by a result driven whilst inquisitive and able to challenge the 'status quo' and be creative in finding value add solutions.
Due to the nature of this role, it is essential you possess a full driving licence.
We're committed to ensuring we offer our people a great place to work, with competitive salary, contributory pension plan and benefits package.
All applications should be submitted online however to discuss any adjustments you may require to submit your application please get in touch with Scot on 0141 224 7311, no agencies please.
We'll let you know the outcome of your application after the closing date.
The successful candidate will be subject to the Company's verification and vetting process. This includes a basic criminal records check.
We all have different skills here at SSE and that's what makes us stand out. We all take pride in a job well done and share the belief that an inclusive culture is key to our success and vision for the future. Above all, safety is at the heart of everything we do at SSE and we live by the mantra 'if it's not safe, we don't do it'.
SSE is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.