|Position:||Regional Finance Manager (SEPD Distribution)|
|Contact Name:||Jenna Jackson|
Base Location: Reading / Slough
Salary: Up to £58,000 + annual bonus
Working Pattern: Permanent Full Time, Flexible working patterns available, 37 hours per week
About the Department
Our SSE Finance function has a key part to play in fulfilling SSE's obligations as a UK-listed company, providing expertise and services that can be shared across the SSE Group, and working in partnership with all businesses to provide services tailored to their specific needs. SSE operates in a highly regulated and increasingly competitive environment, and our role is to ensure that we gather, compile, analyse and recommend on the financial strategy for our businesses, identifying opportunities to drive efficiencies and create value for SSE now, and in the future.
What is the Role?
We are looking for a Regional Finance Manager to support our SEPD Customer Operations Business's Thames Valley Region.
The role will be responsible for all financial aspects of Customer Operations within SEPD Distribution including accurate and timely execution of general accounting, period end closing and reporting activities along with the delivery of financial management information & reporting to business management and the wider finance team. Budgeting & forecasting activities as well as maintaining a robust financial control framework.
As a natural monopoly, our Distribution business is subject to regulatory oversight by the industry regulator, Ofgem. As such we have a 'Regulatory Contract (referred often to as a Regulatory Licence) in which we are required to comply with several obligations and underpins our financial and business performance drivers.
Within Customer Operations SEPD Distribution there are four regions. These are Thames Valley, Ridgeway, Wessex & South East. This role will be aligned to the Thames Region and will be based in either SSE's Forbury office in Reading or our Slough depot with a requirement to visit sites across the Region on a regular basis to enable a close working relationship and provision of financial support to the Head of Region and their team.
In addition, the successful candidate will be required to work closely with the Distribution Finance Manager, the Director of Finance for Distribution, and other key internal stakeholders across Finance & the Group. The need to understand how the business operates and the nature of our regulatory obligations under our RIIO price controls are a key aspect of this role as well as providing support and robust challenge to colleagues.
The role will require you to work on your own initiative, understand complex issues, and convey this succinctly and clearly to inform decisions. This is a varied and challenging role with key responsibilities as follows:
- Ensuring financial information is prepared on an accurate & timely basis & undertake & review financial analysis for Regional key performance reporting (KPIs will be both financial & non-financial), and for inclusion in both the Regional & Director of Customer Operations (SEPD) reporting packs.
- Supporting and challenging the business. Understanding key financial drivers and commercial processes. Coaching the business in effective financial management, providing insight and understanding of risks and opportunities, and working with Operations and Asset Management to supporting the drive for productivity and efficiency. Acting as "independent critical friend" to support good management decisions.
- Representing finance at monthly / forecast review meetings and business team meetings; visiting sites within the Region and internal stakeholders; and being an integral part of the Regional team driving the delivery of revenue projects & other overhead costs within budget and on time.
- Support effective financial control across Distribution Finance with inputs into; control account reconciliations, balance sheet analysis, project ledger to general ledger reconciliations and working with the business to effectively manage the purchase ledger.
- Supporting budgeting & forecasting for Distribution covering revenue projects & other controllable costs such as employee related costs. Including identifying opportunities to improve the forecasting processes.
What do I need?
- Experience operating in a commercial finance role within a large organisation with experience of financial operations, reporting on financial drivers and performance; and co-ordinating, collating and reviewing financial forecasts. Delivering reports and insight on the forecast and have experience of representing finance at financial review meetings (or equivalent) and presenting financial information to Operational Directors.
- Ability to make decisions and recommendations while maintaining independence, professionalism, adaptable, flexible and willing to visit and work from key sites within the Region.
- Be pro-active and diligent in approach, willing to undertake challenging tasks sometimes beyond their 'comfort zone and able to work to tight timescales, under pressure and deliver to a high standard;
- Be confident and articulate with the willingness to challenge and support colleagues and the business in a constructive and supportive manner;
- Have an appropriate accounting qualification (ICAS, ICAEW, ACCA, CIMA or CIPFA) and with relevant PQE in an equivalent role; or be a part qualified accountant or qualified by experience with significant experience working in a commercial finance / management accounting role.
We're committed to ensuring we offer our people a great place to work, with competitive salary, contributory pension plan and benefits package. Why not watch our short employee benefits video to see what else is on offer?
For more information about this role, or to discuss any adjustments you require to submit your application please get in touch with sse.