|Position:||Protection and Control Engineer|
|Salary:||Up to GBP59538 per annum + car/car allowance|
|Contact Name:||Jenna Jackson|
Base Location: Reading
Salary: Up to £59,538 plus car/car allowance depending on skills and experience
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | 37 hours
About the Department
At Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks (SSEN), our skilled teams operate and maintain our electricity distribution and transmission networks, carrying electricity to over 3.7 million homes across the north of the Central Belt of Scotland and Central Southern England.
Operations are responsible for keeping the lights on; we are at the front line on the Network. If we find a fault, it is our responsibility to respond to the fault, and dispatch our skilled teams to fix it as quickly as possible. We work in all hours, and through all weathers, ensuring our customers are never without power.
What is the Role
As a Protection and Control Design Engineer you will be involved in the creation of protection and control schemes at voltages from 6.6kV to 132kV across the Southern Distribution Network. You'll develop a project design from an initial high-level scope, through to detailed scheme drawings and relay settings. This includes plant specifications, tendering and tender evaluation.
What do I need?
To ensure you get the most from your role, and our customers receive the highest standard of service, we ask that you have the following to join us;
- A minimum HNC in Electrical Engineering, degree level is preferred
- Previous experience working in design or commissioning of power system protection. Projects cover new sites, installation replacement (full/part), refurbishment of plant and actions in event of faults and relay failure requiring replacement.
- Knowledge and experience of protection relays and relay panels, CT & VT sizing calculations, protection relay setting calculations and the producing of detailed and accurate drawings including main connection and protection diagrams. Also post fault investigation to identify nature of fault and confirm correct operation of protection.
- An interest in long term development to identify and implement innovative and effective business improvements liaising with manufacturers considering suitability of new products and working to gain approval for their use on our network. Protocols such as IEC61850 and alternatives to existing outstations offer new challenges / opportunities in monitoring and controlling our network.
Whilst the above skills and experience are important, we also have several personal competencies that we look for in our partners;
- High regard for safety, embedding yourself in our safety culture and adhering to guidelines in everything you do is a key priority. Conversant with CDM regulations and ensuring installations can be accessed and maintained for the duration of their life.
- Outstanding customer relationship skills, and a commitment to providing a high-level service always.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; comfortable liaising with stakeholders at all levels, both internal and external. Liaising with other DNOs ICPs NR, NG and clients where we interface with their networks. Also, as part of a team internally working with legal, wayleaves, civils, plant design, project engineers as well as SAPs and commissioning engineers. Catering for challenges presented through an increase in embedded generation of various types. (i.e.. gas/diesel generators, wind turbines, PV and battery storage.
- Excellent organisational skills with an ability to work to deadlines.
- Sound knowledge of IT, namely Microsoft packages including Word, Excel and Outlook; a flair for picking up new IT systems is a great advantage
- Enthusiasm and drive with a flexible approach to work and an ability to adapt to changing business and project priorities
Were committed to ensuring we offer our people a great place to work, with competitive salary, contributory pension plan and benefits package. Why not watch our short employee benefits video to see what else is on offer?
For more information about this role, or to discuss any adjustments you require to submit your application please get in touch at: sse.
We all have different skills here at SSE and that's what makes us stand out. We all take pride in a job well done and share the belief that an inclusive culture is key to our success and vision for the future. Above all, safety is at the heart of everything we do at SSE and we live by the mantra 'if its not safe, we don't do it.
SSE is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.