|Position:||Outage Planner (Power Systems Engineer)|
|Salary:||Up to GBP53000 per annum|
|Contact Name:||Jenna Jackson|
Base Location: Portsmouth
Salary: Up to £53,000 depending on experience
Working Pattern: Permanent | 37 hours | Full Time with Flexible working patterns available
About the Department
SSE Power Distribution, part of the SSE group, owns and operates two electricity distribution networks and one transmission network, comprising some 123,000 substations and 127,000km of overhead lines and underground cables, distributing electricity to 3.5 million homes and businesses in the North of Scotland and Southern England.
What is the Role
Due to a substantial increase in Distribution Generation, along with new technologies such as Active Network Management Schemes, the Distribution system is more active than ever; as such we are looking for an Outage Planner (Power System Engineer), to be part of our Operational Planning team managing outages on our EHV network (132 kV and 33 kV).
Ideally, you'll be working towards Chartership, as you'll be central to the efficient running of our distribution network as we move towards becoming a DSO.
You'll also be responsible for power system analysis, namely managing planned outages and faults on our network whilst ensuring our network is as secure as possible and minimising impact to customers. This is a key role within the control room monitoring SSENs southern network which has over 3.1 million customers and is operational 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. The role will involve working with Control Engineers, Protection Engineers, System Planners, Design Engineers, Field Unit Engineers, National Grid (NGESO and NGET), EHV DER customers, other DNOs, SSEN Management, Project Managers and Cartographers to name a few.
What do I need?
To ensure you get the most from your role, and our customers receive the highest standard of service, we ask that you have the following to join us:
- previous engineering experience within a distribution network, ideally working with EHV networks
- degree in Electrical Engineering; relevant equivalent experience will also be considered
- experience performing power systems studies using PSS/E or similar
- strategic mind-set with the ability to act quickly whilst maintaining a high degree of precision; in this fast-paced environment, a need for high accuracy is fundamental to our success
- excellent organisational skills with an ability to work to deadlines, and to shift priorities depending on unplanned circumstance
Whilst the above skills and experience are important, we also have several personal competencies that we look for in our team:
- high regard for safety, embedding yourself in our safety culture and adhering to guidelines in everything you do is a key priority
- outstanding customer relationship skills, and a commitment to providing a high-level service
- excellent written and verbal communication skills; comfortable liaising with stakeholders at all levels, both internal and external
- sound knowledge of IT, namely Microsoft packages including Word, Excel and Outlook; a flair for picking up new IT systems is a great advantage
- enthusiasm and drive with a flexible approach to work and an ability to adapt to changing business and project priorities
Were committed to ensuring we offer our people a great place to work, with competitive salary, contributory pension plan and benefits package. Why not watch our short employee benefits video to see what else is on offer?
For more information about this role, or to discuss any adjustments you require to submit your application please get in touch at: sse.
We all have different skills here at SSE and that's what makes us stand out. We all take pride in a job well done and share the belief that an inclusive culture is key to our success and vision for the future. Above all, safety is at the heart of everything we do at SSE and we live by the mantra 'if its not safe, we don't do it.
SSE is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.