|Position:||Medway Mechanical Engineer - Balance of Plant|
|Salary:||GBP44100 - GBP66100 per annum + Performance related bonus|
|Contact Name:||Jenna Jackson|
About our Business
SSE Thermal is on a mission to deliver the flexible energy needed today while powering the transition to net zero. Our 600+ employees play a crucial role in keeping the lights on across the UK and Ireland and we're rising to the low-carbon challenge with our teams at the cutting-edge of vital technologies. We're developing ground-breaking carbon capture and storage projects and progressing plans for what could be the world's first hydrogen-fired power station, as well as a major hydrogen storage facility and exploring other exciting options as we decarbonise. We've already achieved a lot - but we're just getting started. As part of SSE, which is investing £24bn this decade, we're at the forefront of the energy transition - so come join us as we continue to grow and power change.
To find out more, read this blog from Catherine Raw, our Managing Director, on our critical role in delivering net zero.
About the Role
Base Location: Medway Power Station, Kent
Salary: £44,100 - £66,100 + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
Reporting to the Lead Mechanical Engineer, the Balance of Plant Mechanical Engineer will be part of an inclusive and high performing team, across disciplines and departments. We are exploring options to decarbonise our energy generation at Medway through emerging CCS and hydrogen solutions to ensure the site can continue to provide essential flexible power in line with our net-zero goals.
Some of your other main responsibilities may include;
- Management of works to ensure a safe working environment & safe management of safety critical works.
- Technical governance, delivery of compliance with legislation and industry best practice & guidance for your plant area.
- Delivery of an effective outage strategy and Management of Projects for your plant area and optimising the maintenance strategy to meet with the needs of our customers / stakeholders.
- Management of root cause analysis and engineering solutions to defects & driving innovation to achieve improvements in plant performance.
- Budget Management & Contract management of suppliers.
These accountabilities are in relation to the mechanical assets of the power plant.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Educated to degree level or equivalent in a mechanical discipline or similar.
- Extensive mechanical engineering knowledge, familiar with the types of equipment in the electricity, or a comparable engineering industry and experience of working with Heat Recovery Steam Generator (HRSG's) and Pressure System Safety Regulations (PSSR) would be advantageous.
- Have good knowledge of contract legislation, regulation relating to Health and Safety and legislation for mechanical systems. Experience in assessing competence of personnel would be advantageous.
- Good communication skills are essential, and you will have a demonstrable record of teamwork.
- A passion for safety and successful delivery against key stakeholder requirements.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Hannah on 01738 341147.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.