Position: Location: Salary: Ref: Job Type: Published On: Start Date:
Mechanical Technician Advanced Apprenticeship
Peterborough, Chelmsford, Huntingdon , Diss, Aylesbury , Churchover, Wormington, Warrington, Wooler, Kirrimuir
About the role
In this four-year programme, there will be a wide range of learning opportunities with a mixture of on-site training, attendance at Our Academy training centre in rural Nottinghamshire plus, attendance at college and external training courses.
You’ll join our Gas Transmission Operations team at one of our gas operational sites around the country. By maintaining the pipelines, compressors or gas turbines, you’ll ensure the safe, secure and reliable operation of our gas network.
You’ll also help bring about the necessary changes to enable new sources of gas to enter the UK.
During, and on completion of the apprenticeship, you will be expected to work as part of a larger team, so good communication skills are essential as you may have to interact with your immediate team, the general public, agencies and emergency services on safety related matters and also provide technical advice to other stakeholders.
Key Tasks and Areas of Work
- Undertake installation, inspection, commissioning, operation, repair, maintenance and emergency response activities associated with Terminal, Compressor Station and Pipeline and AGI systems and assets in accordance with relevant policies and procedures, delivering performance excellence within relevant discipline to optimise work effectiveness and efficiencies, maximising asset and plant availability and reliability
- Undertake safe setting to work for self and others, of work activities in accordance with the safe control of operations procedures contributing to a team culture of safe working and safety compliance in all work activities with National Grid Policies and Procedures
- Maintain accurate site maintenance, asset, operational and safe control of operations records of all work activities and operations undertaken to ensure compliance with relevant policies and regulatory requirements
- Support the construction and commissioning of new assets onto the gas transmission system and other non-load related projects in accordance with relevant policies and procedures, identify the requirement to replace/upgrade existing plant and equipment, participate in the design of minor modifications, and the provision of technical support within discipline and competencies as required
- Contribute to the development, review and update of emergency, security, safety, operational and environmental plans and procedures to ensure safe and cost effective operation of plant and equipment, undertake the roles of incident controller and site main controller during planned and emergency situations in accordance with the on and off site emergency plans, monitoring and control of site security operations, and participation in duty standby rota and occasionally shift working arrangements
- Ensure that the high-pressure pipeline system is protected, including the monitoring of third party work, aerial sighting response, cathodic protection monitoring, support of the in-line inspection programme, and undertake competent person role associated with routine and low complex non-routine operational procedures
Oversee and inspect work activities undertaken by contractors and working party members where required to provide assurance that technical and safety compliance standards are being maintained and undertaken.
- You must have, or be predicted to gain, a Grade C or above/4-9 or equivalent GCSE in English Language and Maths.
- In addition to the GCSE requirements, you must also have one of the following sets of qualifications:
- 3 other GCSE’s - must be in IT, Technical Drawing, Engineering, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Science, English Literature, Geography or History (Grade C or above) or
- Engineering diploma/qualification i.e. BTEC (Pass or above)
- To apply for this role, you must hold a valid full UK car driving licence, or be willing to learn to drive and agree to secure a valid full UK car driving licence within 12 months after joining the programme or as soon as possible after your 17th birthday.
- This role requires you to work in confined spaces and work at heights during the programme and/or in the end role.
- You must be willing to relocate your primary residence to within a 45-minute journey time to the location of the role. Details about when this must be done and whether relocation assistance will be provided will be confirmed at Assessment Centre stage. You will also be required to spend a large proportion of your time at our Training Academy in Eakring and/or at the relevant educational institution.
Disabilities and Reasonable Adjustments
If you consider yourself to have a disability, long term health condition and/or require any reasonable adjustments to complete any part of our application process, please make us aware as soon as possible so we can make the relevant adjustments.
Please also contact us if you require this, or any other document in an alternative format such as large print, braille, audio or easy read.
Telephone: 01926 654630
After all of this fantastic training and experience, you will want to spend the next few years putting this all into practice and continuing to build on your technical capability acquiring further technical certificates and qualifications.
Upon successful completion of the apprenticeship you will attain an HNC in Mechanical Engineering and a level 3 qualification in Maintenance and Operations Engineering, from there your opportunities within National Grid are endless, with a wide range of potential career options.