|Position:||Joint Venture Accountant|
|Contact Name:||Jenna Jackson|
SSE has big ambitions to be a leading energy company in a low carbon world. Following our commitment to invest £12.5 billion in low carbon projects over the next 5 years, and our exciting growth plans in the UK, Ireland and internationally, we've a range of exciting opportunities within our Corporate Functions to support our ambition to build a world that's more sustainable and inclusive for you, your family, the community you live in and for generations to come.
Base Location: Glasgow / Perth
Salary: £33,500 - £50,300 + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible working options available
What is the Role?
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Joint Venture Accountant to join the SSE Thermal Energy Finance team, reporting to the Finance Manager - Development & Gas Storage. The Thermal Energy business is experiencing a period of evolution and growth with a number of innovative large capital projects in the development and construction phase, which will shape the future of the Thermal business. This role is focussed on supporting the Finance Manager with a broad range of Financial Control activities for the Development, Construction and Operational Joint Ventures within the Thermal business.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Month End Close & Reporting - assisting in the timely and effective financial control process for the period end close for the Thermal JVs. This includes review of material, journal entry preparation and applying knowledge of financial and management accounting. Provision of monthly JV management accounts pack for JV partners and resolution of any queries in a timely manner.
- P&L Preparation and Balance Sheet Reconciliations - preparation of key P&L and Balance Sheet control account reconciliations, using judgement to highlight and investigate variances and providing supporting commentary when required by the Commercial Finance team.
- Cash Management - Manage the funding process for the JVs. Liaise with project teams, JV partners and Treasury to manage JV cash position and foreign currency requirements.
- Statutory Reporting - preparation of Financial Statements for review by the Finance Manager and external auditors. Supporting the annual audit process by liaising with auditors to ensure appropriate back up is provided as requested.
- Tax - manage JV tax advisers, ensure corporate tax returns are delivered accurately and on time. Prepare VAT returns for review by JV Tax advisors.
- Working Closely with the Commercial Finance team to ensure shared knowledge and understanding of technical and business specific matters.
What do I need?
- Fully qualified accountant with 2+ years experience in a Financial Accountant / Management Accountant role.
- Strong technical accounting knowledge. Experience of JVs, Fixed Assets and Projects would be an advantage.
- Ability to work unsupervised and deliver high quality work to tight deadlines
- Able to manage multiple complex projects/processes simultaneously.
- Good knowledge of core financial systems and general accounting procedures.
About our Business
In SSE Thermal, we're responsible for SSE's flexible generation, energy-from-waste and energy storage activities, with over 600 direct employees across the UK and Ireland. We are currently constructing the 840MW Keadby 2 CCGT in North Lincolnshire, which is expected to become the cleanest and most efficient gas-fired power station in Europe when completed in October 2022. As part of our commitment to achieving net zero carbon emissions, we have a core focus on decarbonising our fleet through carbon capture and storage (CCS) and hydrogen technology. We are actively developing projects in the Humber and Scotland, which could become the UK's first CCS-equipped power stations, while also exploring exciting opportunities in low-carbon hydrogen production, generation and storage.
Our SSE Finance function has a key part to play in fulfilling SSE's obligations as a UK-listed company, providing expertise and services that can be shared across the SSE Group, and working in partnership with all businesses to provide services tailored to their specific needs. SSE operates in a highly regulated and increasingly competitive environment, and our role is to ensure that we gather, compile, analyse and recommend on the financial strategy for our businesses, identifying opportunities to drive efficiencies and create value for SSE now, and in the future.
Whats in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact / 01738 344763.
EXTERNAL: Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.