|Position:||Head of Engineering Solutions|
|Salary:||GBP62700 - GBP94100 per annum|
|Contact Name:||Jenna Jackson|
Location: Flexible, ideally our core locations of Reading or Glasgow, with regular travel to various national locations.
Salary: £62,700 - £94,100 depending on skills and experience + car allowance/cash equivalent + competitive annual bonus
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time Hours | 37 hours per week
About our Business
Our exciting new SSE Distributed Energy business has a clear vision; to be the leading low-carbon smart energy solution provider in the UK and Ireland.
We are embarking on the development of innovative new projects which will address the UK's carbon challenge by making energy smarter and more flexible. We want communities to access cleaner, lower cost energy and smart services, so were investing in local energy schemes to help boost local economies and employment.
Our mission is to invest, construct, own, operate, maintain and optimise this local energy infrastructure, so naturally we are seeking driven, innovative thinkers to help us deliver on this commitment.
About the Role
Reporting into the Director of Operations and Business Support, you'll play an instrumental role in leading and growing an Engineering Solutions function of 40 for the Distributed Energy project pipeline.
We are looking for a highly motivated leader, with strong experience in the co-ordination of designs for major projects within the energy, communications or transport sectors.
You will drive engineering teams in the evaluation of opportunities and timely delivery of innovative solutions for large and complex projects, from initial concept right through to completion. You will therefore play a crucial role in driving growth for our business.
Your strong leadership will drive efficiencies into the solutions developed by your teams, while critically balancing health, safety, and the environment.
You will influence senior stakeholders inside and outside of our business to successfully ensure the timely development of projects through the application of excellent relationship management skills.
You will drive your teams towards exceeding the expectations of our customers by taking pride to ensure quality across all of your activities.
Key accountabilities include:
Safety, Health and Environment:
- Promoting and managing safety by design for all projects across the project lifecycle within Distributed Energy, carrying a specific responsibility for developing and maintaining the appropriate procedures.
- Holding the position of "Designated Engineer" under our Operational Safety Rules for Distributed Energy, ensuring that appropriate operational procedures are in place and are being maintained for work on electrical networks.
- Taking responsibility for the development of engineering solutions across all of our core sectors of distributed generation, energy storage, electric vehicles, distributed gas and electricity networks, smart cities and district heating networks.
- Working closely with Project Directors and Lead Project Managers to ensure that engineering and quality risks are identified and understood, and that appropriate measures are put in place to ensure that issues are dealt with pro-actively where practicable, and to minimise risk to project/asset quality and programme.
- Taking responsibility for assigning adequate and competent engineering resources to projects, including consultants from our established support framework (for which you will manage the overall contract) to ensure both the quality and timely delivery of a range of engineering deliverables.
- Taking overall accountability for Design Management Plans, contractual Works Information, ensuring Design and Hazard Reviews are carried out, and ensuring competent project technical leadership is in place.
- Taking responsibility for ensuring that technical requirements are clearly and robustly communicated to project teams.
Your Skills and Experience
You will be a Chartered Engineer, qualified to degree level in an energy related subject. A good understanding of the energy industry; distributed energy technology and smart energy systems.
You will be able to competently and effectively lead teams of Engineers to build solutions which you will take ultimate accountability for.
You will be a highly motivated individual with strong written and spoken communication skills, having a flexible approach that lends itself to collaborating with colleagues and customers at a very senior level.
You'll hold a strong technical knowledge of relevant legislation, and of the design and operational aspects of networks, with a strong ability to communicate complex technical issues in a clear and concise manner to facilitate decision making at the most senior level.
We're committed to ensuring SSE is a great place for our people to work, by offering a competitive salary, contributory pension plan, and attractive benefits package including flexible holiday options and the opportunity to engage in community volunteering activities.
You will also be supported in your personal and professional development in order that you can grow as an individual while you help grow our business.
Why not watch our short employee benefits video to see what else is on offer?
Just click the Apply button to submit your application, it doesn't take long.
If you're successful, we'll conduct some pre-employment checks.