|Position:||Head of Corporate Affairs, Distribution|
|Salary:||plus Car/Cash Allowance and Annual Bonus|
|Contact Name:||Jenna Jackson|
Base Location: London, Reading, Perth or Glasgow
Salary: £70,000 plus, depending on skills and experience + car/cash allowance + annual bonus
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time with Flexible working patterns available
About the Department
People in Corporate Affairs work collaboratively externally and internally to advise, influence and communicate in order to help SSE's businesses succeed and contribute to SSE being a leading energy provider in a low-carbon world. We have a wide range of audiences we want to reach including investors, competitors, governments, partners, suppliers, communities and prospective employees, and our Corporate Affairs team build and cultivate these relationships to help us get our story across.
What is the Role?
The Head of Corporate Affairs (Distribution) is responsible for managing all Corporate Affairs activities related to SSE's two licensed electricity distribution business in central southern England and the north of Scotland, under the Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks (SSEN) brand
You will design, plan and deliver external communications, policy, political engagement and advocacy activity relating to SSEN Distributions strategy and operations. This will include a leading role in framing SSEN's RIIO-ED2 business plan to an external audience. You will also hold responsibility for SSEN's brand presence.
Acting as key spokesperson, you will represent SSEN Distribution in the media and, with the support of a focused team, produce engaging and effective content that enhances the reputation of SSEN Distribution and helps achieve key business objectives. This will include managing the communications preparation and response to weather events that may impact SSEN's networks.
You will provide high quality strategic counsel to the Managing Director and Distribution Executive Committee about ongoing policy, advocacy, communications and external stakeholder developments. This will include identifying how these could affect business strategy, planned investments or operations and recommending solutions.
You will be responsible for SSEN Distributions contribution to group corporate reporting, help to manage the investor story for the business unit, including close working with Investor Relations, Company Secretarial, and other SSE group functions.
You will report to the Director of Corporate Affairs, Regulation and Stakeholder Engagement and work with other senior stakeholders to help ensure alignment collaboration across all of SSEN Distributions external facing functions.
As a key member of the Corporate Affairs and Strategy senior management team, you will provide an essential link between SSE's business units and with other segment and Group activities to contribute to effective planning and execution of the Corporate Affairs and Strategies objectives on behalf of the SSE group.
You will deputise for the Director of Corporate Affairs, Regulation and Stakeholder Engagement in their absence, including attendance at the Distribution Executive Committee and other key senior management forums in SSEN Distribution.
What do I need?
- To be successful in the role you'll need the following;
- Excellent communicator, both written and oral, and comfortable presenting and advising at senior executive level.
- Experience in key communications and media-facing roles with ability to fulfil spokesperson duties,
- Proven track record interfacing with senior officials, senior public representatives, and senior executives with the goal of influencing decision making
- Ability to grasp complex information and understand how, and when, to use it in SSE's public interest.
- Ability to translate complex information to a wide range of internal and external audiences.
- Ability to develop project or team plans which establish objectives for others, set timetables, allocate accountabilities and co-ordinate resources
- Ability to lead a diverse, multi-disciplinary team operating in multiple, often remote, locations
- Ability to act under pressure and mange difficult situations calmly, providing considered response to key communications challenges
- Ability to demonstrate value of Corporate Affairs services in achieving business objectives.
- Knowledge of energy and related issues (such as strategy and sustainability) as they affect the SSE Group and SSEN Distribution. Confident in appropriately challenging senior internal stakeholders thinking and decisions.
- Address issues or problems that are ambiguous and difficult to define and seek proactive and create solutions that meet overall business objectives
- In depth knowledge of energy markets, commercial drivers and public policy levers across all relevant jurisdictions. Spot societal trends and connect these with potential implications for the energy sector.
Please be aware if you are successful, you'll be required to complete our pre-employment screening process before joining SSE.
We're committed to ensuring we offer our people a great place to work, with competitive salary, contributory pension plan and benefits package. Why not watch our short employee benefits video to see what else is on offer?
We'll let you know the outcome of your job application after the closing date. To discuss any adjustments you require to submit your application please get in touch with Kimberlee Anderson,
We all have different skills here at SSE and that's what makes us stand out. We all take pride in a job well done and share the belief that an inclusive culture is key to our success and vision for the future. Safety is at the heart of everything we do at SSE and we live by the mantra 'if it's not safe, we don't do it'.
SSE is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.