|Position:||Design Engineer (Submarine Cable Projects)|
|Contact Name:||Jenna Jackson|
Base Location: Perthshire
Salary: £40,201- £53,096 depending on skills and experience + car/cash allowance
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time or Part Time with Flexible working patterns available
About the Department
Operations are responsible for keeping the lights on; we are at the front line on the Network. If we find a fault, it is our responsibility to respond to the fault, and dispatch our skilled teams to fix it as quickly as possible. We work in all hours, and through all weathers, ensuring our customers are never without power.
What is the Role?
Working with the submarine electricity cables team, you will be responsible for managing the engineering design of our submarine cabling projects. Our projects will vary from the inspection of existing submarine cables, to the survey, engineering design and installation of replacement submarine cables, to the maintenance or repairs and potentially the decommissioning of existing submarine cables. You will be responsible for managing the engineering elements of the projects from the preliminary route identification and route assessment stage through development and completion of the detailed engineering design for cable installation.
Safety is paramount to everything we do. You will be responsible for the preparation and coordination of pre-construction information, carrying out design risk assessments and design risk reviews ensuring that safety and the environment is fully considered within design. Engagement with contractors during the design and delivery phases of the projects will also be important.
You will also support the submarine electricity cables team by providing engineering or technical advice relating to the project designs. You will be responsible for consideration of stakeholder views within the design development phase of the projects and will be responsible for communicating with and developing internal and external relationships.
What do I need?
To ensure you get the most from your role, and our customers receive the highest standard of service, we ask that you have the following to join us;
- Experience of submarine cable shore landfall assessments and route design carrying out route engineering analysis and specifying methods of cable installation, burial and protection (if applicable) based on survey data.
- Experience of route engineering design GIS and drawing packages
- Knowledge and application of the Construction, Design and Management Regulations 2015.
- Experience of preparing and managing tender packages for marine survey operations, cable installations, existing cable inspections and decommissioning. This includes responding to technical engineering clarifications and evaluation of tender submissions.
- Experience of preparing pre-construction information, carrying out design risk assessments and design risk reviews.
- Ability to provide technical support to the submarine cables design manager, subsea cables team colleagues, internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience in considering stakeholder views within the design development.
- Degree qualified or equivalent experience (Electrical engineering preferable but not essential).
The following is also desirable but not essential experience;
- Knowledge of the operation of the electrical distribution network.
- Knowledge of submarine cable design and construction up to 33kV.
- Experience of onshore cable route assessment for subsequent connection of the submarine cable to the distribution network.
- Knowledge of submarine cable installation, both in deep and shallow waters, and aspects that may affect the cable integrity during installation and operation.
- Experience of working on projects under New Engineering and Construction contracts.
Please be aware if you are successful, you'll be required to complete our pre-employment screening process before joining SSE.
For this role you must have a full, current driving license.
We're committed to ensuring we offer our people a great place to work, with competitive salary, contributory pension plan and benefits package. Why not watch our short employee benefits video to see what else is on offer?
For more information about this role, or to discuss any adjustments you require to submit your application please get in touch at: sse.
We all have different skills here at SSE and that's what makes us stand out. We all take pride in a job well done and share the belief that an inclusive culture is key to our success and vision for the future. Above all, safety is at the heart of everything we do at SSE and we live by the mantra 'if it's not safe, we don't do it.'
SSE is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.