|Position:||Bid Director, UK & Ireland (SSE Renewables)|
|Salary:||Car allowance & Performance related bonus|
|Contact Name:||Jenna Jackson|
About the Role
Base Location: Flexible, however our preference is that you will be based in one of our key UK or Ireland sites, which includes but is not limited to:- Glasgow, Perth, Aberdeen, Inverness, Reading, Havant, London or Dublin
Salary: Competitive + car allowance + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
Due to our exciting expansion in the UK, Ireland and internationally we have a very significant pipeline of bids which will range in capital value from £50m to <£4bn. These bids are complex, uncertain and require the development of bespoke bid strategies and strategic value propositions, either with or without Joint Venture (JV) partners.
Bid Directors are critical roles within SSER's Business Development function, for building our pipeline. In this role you'll take overall accountability for all aspects of specific bids for either seabed leases, CFD's or multi-factor bids. You'll lead the development of market winning bid strategies that meet and exceed our customer's needs, from defining upfront strategies through to the delivery of commercially viable, innovative and robust bids.
In addition to the above, you will be responsible for:-
- Leading, developing and motivating your team (c20+ people), as well as indirectly managing a cross-functional, multi-disciplined and diverse team in a matrix structure. You'll need to inspire and instil a commercial winning mindset across the team, with a focus on innovation and always with safety at the heart of everything you do.
- Ownership of end-to-end bid strategy and workstreams, from identifying partners and leading JV negotiations to leadership and delivery up to and including handover of bids to the development or pre-construction team, as appropriate. This will include having overall accountability for bid strategy, defining win themes and ensuring the overall delivery of commercially viable, technically sound opportunities that will drive future value for SSE.
- Ensuring all bids are robust, taking accountability for all due diligence activities e.g. conducting market analysis, competitor insight, understanding and clearly articulating the risk profile, understanding and interrogating bid economics, etc. A part of your role will involve overseeing independent bid reviews prior to submission, ensuring all recommendations are implemented prior to sign off.
- Direct reporting to the JV Board or Steer Committee, with overall accountability for the governance strategy. This will include preparing presentations / communications on bid information to ensure understanding of bid strategy, price and the impact on the bottom line.
- Engage with a large range of internal and external stakeholders to develop and leverage solid working relationships based on trust, collaboration and an aligned vision. This will include building strong relationships with customers, regulators, JV partners and our supply chain.
What do I need?
Critical to this role will be prior experience in managing and delivering complex, large scale, multi-disciplinary project financed JV bids or projects, preferably across the UK, Ireland and/or internationally within onshore or offshore renewables (preferred), or broader energy sector. A strategic thinker who is commercially savvy and can demonstrate experience of leading successful winning bids is essential.
We would also love you to have:-
- Extensive experience of managing, motivating and inspiring collaborative and successful bid teams, and developing successful bid strategies including defining win themes and value propositions. You'll need to be curious and relentless in pursuit of innovation and value opportunities.
- Financial and commercial awareness, including experience of financial investment appraisal techniques, revenue analysis and an understanding of the commercial drivers, risks and sensitivities in financial modelling within a business case for multi-billion pound projects.
- Excellent senior stakeholder management skills with the ability to influence and challenge as appropriate, yet also take a step back, listen, reflect and accept feedback. You'll be able to clearly and positively present key messages at senior levels and to external stakeholders, partners or regulators.
- Experience of contract negotiations, and a good working knowledge of contract structures and JV contract arrangements and inter-relationships across contract packages.
- Resilience, curiosity and a proactive approach, with a focus on delivering results often in ambiguous and high pressure environments.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Jenna on 01738 341390.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.