Start date: June 2018 for up to 12 weeks
Location: Bedfont Lakes, Feltham
Application deadline: We review applications on an ongoing basis
We have some exciting summer internships available at Cisco within our R&D team based in Uxbridge and Feltham.
As an engineering intern with Cisco, you will be given a specific project by the team you are assigned to and the tools to succeed in a very fast paced learning focused environment. Working at Cisco is rewarding and fun and we always encourage the contribution of individuals to our company´s success. Our interns will work with some of the industry’s leading professionals in the field from day one. These are paid internship opportunities and successful interns will be considered for full time jobs upon graduation.
What you will do:
Software Engineering Development – Uxbridge
Our R&D team in Uxbridge is a UK based R&D specialist engineering center for the design and implementation of the most technologically advanced video conferencing infrastructure solutions available in the market today.
Software engineering involves development and testing of new technologies and features, as well as maintenance and enhancement of existing products. We need flexible and creative candidates with a can-do attitude. Strong programming skills in C, C++, Java and C# or Scripting languages like Python are desirable. Experience of any of the following is an advantage: TCP/IP, VoIP, videoconferencing, video/audio codecs, signal processing, embedded systems design, operating system/device driver programming and GUI development.
Software Engineering Media Development - Feltham
This team builds cutting-edge media technologies, deployed daily to numerous data centres around the world. As a modern, dev-ops focused group, we are responsible for designing, building and running the services that provide the best-in-class audio and video experience that Cisco customers of products like WebEx and Spark enjoy and expect.
You could become involved with every part of ensuring the quality and reliability of the delivered service, writing feature code, video and audio codecs, media packet-handling and signal-processing algorithms, creating automated tests and new tools to increase efficiency. You will be working on a complex next-generation media service as well as developing tools and microservices for the Cisco Spark cloud. We are looking for a strong mathematical or scientific background, proven track record of learning new technologies and features on own initiative, passion for technology and solid knowledge of C/C++. Experience of video and audio encoding or TCP/IP networking, VoIP and Video applications is an added bonus.
What we are looking for
- Currently pursuing a bachelor or master´s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or a related major such as Math, Physics (penultimate year)
- Due to receive a minimum of 2.1
- An understanding of computer science fundamentals and software engineering with an aptitude for learning new technologies.
- Possess creative problem solving skills and excellent troubleshooting/debugging skill
- Excellent ability to collaborate and work together with other team members
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Penultimate year student looking for a summer internship.
- Ability to live and work in the UK with no additional sponsorship from Cisco
- Must be fluent in English