Start date: September 2018
Closing date for applications: 9th March 2018
Joining an Airbus Apprenticeship programme could be the ideal start to your career, just as it has been for many of our Senior
Managers today. Our Apprentices receive second to none training, gaining the necessary skills, knowledge and experience to
enable you to make an immediate contribution when you enter the workforce.
Our Digital and Technology Solutions Degree Apprentices will be working within a multi-disciplinary team on products and
solutions to keep the Airbus IT Industrial landscape running smoothly, reliably, and efficiently. By engaging in all phases of the IT
product development you will build and assemble high quality code on both commercial off the shelf (COTS) and custom built
applications. You will be responsible for improving the stability and scalability of the systems, driving adoption of best practices,
and developing new solutions to emerging problems.
Our unique 4 year Digital and Technology Solutions Degree Apprenticeship offers a full degree with no fees, plus vocational
training with a regular salary. Through this programme you will achieve a BSc (Hons) Digital and Technical Solutions, and gain
professional working experience.
You will be studying via the University of the West of England (UWE) at Weston College to achieve your UWE degree, and your
industry based work takes place at our world leading aircraft manufacturer site in Filton, Bristol.
This apprenticeship is delivered through a combination of on the job training at Airbus, and college based learning on day
release over the duration of the 4 year programme.
Whilst working at Airbus you will be based within the Industrial Digital Manufacturing Product team, who support systems for
manufacturing engineering, maintenance and shop floor operations; providing software which drive manufacturing machines to
carry out tasks such as drilling, tacking, riveting, via interface programs between the IT system and the machine programmable
The team also develops software to take detailed manufacturing machine level data into the Manufacturing Execution System
(MES) solution, providing information on process, shift performance and maintenance etc. As a Digital and Technology Solutions
Degree Apprentice you'll be supporting the deployment and integration of this MES solution.
Key activities of the industry based work of this apprenticeship include:
- Participating in all product development lifecycle phases, including the analysis, design, test and integration of IT Products
- Developing design specifications and parameters that are in compliance with products' architectural blueprints
- Managing the adoption of tooling and industry best practices amongst the development teams
- Research, evaluation and development of new tools to improve IT product development efficiency
- Assemble and edit source code repositories to develop a software stacks for the IT product needs
- Deploy highly available, scalable, maintainable, monitored systems and services
- Project management / client work, involving gathering requirements, creating technical specifications and architecture
documents, creating and maintaining documentation and managing a project timeline
- Assisting in development of product user manuals
This is an ideal role for someone with a keen interest in ICT, digital technology, internet of things, mobile apps, data analytics
and technology watching/trend monitoring.
In order to be eligible for this apprenticeship candidates must have a minimum of:
- Three A Levels at B grade (preferably in subjects such as IT or Maths), or alternatively a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma at
grade triple Distinction.
- Grade C or 4 in GCSE English Language
Please note that, due to the funded nature of this programme, applicants with undergraduate degrees in computing/IT are not
The successful candidate will also be able to demonstrate the following skills:
- The ability to work well in a team, as well as focus on your own self development
- Experience or knowledge of IT product design and development
- Ability to manage problems, produce documentation, and complete testing
- Knowledge of Information and knowledge management, and component integration
Please note that you must also include a cover letter as part of your application for this programme which demonstrates your
interest in aerospace and motivation to join the apprenticeship programme.