Working in construction, you will be in the frontline delivering safe and compliant projects by ensuring that we are working smarter, eliminating waste and performance managing contractors and suppliers rigorously so that we hand over defect-free facilities.
As new discoveries are made you will need to be prepared to work in harsh and challenging conditions to deliver projects from remoter areas, deeper waters, more extreme climates and more complex supply chains. However there will be the reward and satisfaction of being part of a team delivering some of the largest, most ambitious, advanced and exciting developments in the industry.
Your role and responsibilities
Construction is about planning the physical build and overseeing its execution to quality, cost and schedule targets; implementing inspection, verification and testing requirements; and ensuring that design intent and technical integrity are carried through from design. Your input will range from developing construction plans, to the safe management of site activities during the building of facilities.
As a Construction Engineer in BP you could be:
- Participating in developing the construction strategy, including assessment of options such as the potential locations for construction, potential for modularization vs. stick build, major constraints and requirements of local governments, the risks such as country capability and contractor total workload.
- Working with Engineering and Design teams to ensure the feasibility of transportation, installation, lifting and construction requirements.
- Understanding and planning the requirements for, and availability, of major construction equipment.
- Verifying conformance to functionality and clarifying of technical specs.
- Assisting in monitoring and controlling construction schedule and cost.
- Providing diligence in managing and controlling site changes.
- Monitoring contractor performance, investigating problem areas and coordinating follow-up solutions and interventions.
As your experience and capability develops your career should give you the opportunity to:
- Lead multi-discipline teams of BP and agency/contractor personnel.
- Consider the wider aspect beyond the immediate project goals, i.e. BP’s business objectives, role in the local community etc.
- Manage the full lifecycle of the project construction programme.
- Set construction standards, procedures and practices and embed these within construction teams.
We are looking to hire graduates with strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, a sharp eye for detail, and who will enjoy working within a dynamic team. In addition, graduates need to have excellent numeracy, planning and communication skills. You need to have strong results to date in a construction or project management degree subject; or be studying civil engineering or other engineering degree with an intent to go on to complete a Masters program in Construction.
To apply for a Construction Engineering Summer Internship you need to be studying a construction or project management degree subject; or be studying any engineering degree with the intent to go on to complete a Master’s program in a Construction or Project Management related degree starting in September 2018
In addition, you must be either:
- in your penultimate year of study, or;
- in your final year but you are continuing your education with a master’s degree in the next academic year